The Jesus-appearance to Cleopas (& his Emmaus escort) reported in Lk 24 was no one’s invention (meaning it was no lie, nor literary creation, nor legend of Luke’s or Luke’s sources)..
This is relevant if, given it also didn’t originate by accident, the only option left is that it originated as an honest eyewitness recounting. And of course an honest recounting could’ve only realistically originated with Cleopas and/or his companion reciting what they remember. (Rather than Cleopas’s companion, it was likely Cleopas himself that was Luke’s source. After all Luke was a Greco-Roman biography, and these conventionally cite witness sources via special inclusion of their names in the reported episode.)
In general, the author of Luke inherited his Jesus-biography from relevant witnesses.
On a forthcoming page we can debate these 5 evidences:
• Lk traveled and spoke with witnesses.
• Lk knew the oral reports/details.
• Eyewitness oral traditions were not elusive.
• Most biographers preferred using witnesses.
• Lk was in contact with the witnesses.
This is relevant because it suggests that in this specific case, Luke again is relaying relevant witness testimony: that of Cleopas and his companion.
In AD 30, the Jerusalem church was saying, “Jesus appeared to Cleopas and his companion.”
On this forthcoming page we can debate this piece of evidence:
• Luke visited the Jerusalem-witnesses (and the apostles/church there).
But so what? Plausibly...
• The Jerusalem church's teachings didn't reflect what witnesses.
Shortly after Jesus’s crucifixion, a variety of different persons/groups began to testify that Jesus appeared to them alive from the dead.
This full article gives 7 examples/evidence.
• E.g. “He visited us!” says Mary & women.
• E.g. “He visited us!” says Cleopas & co.
• E.g. “He appeared to me!” says Peter.
• E.g. “He visited us!” say ‘the 12’ apostles.
• E.g. “He visited us!”say ‘The 500’.
• E.g. “He visited us!” say Acts 1 competitors.
• E.g. “He appeared to me!” says James.
• E.g. “He appeared to me!” says Paul.
• [1st church’s Jesus-bio matched witness testimony]().
• [The gospels Jesus-bio relayed witness testimony]().
On this page we can debate these 4 evidences:
This is relevant because