In Mormon theology, God is made of flesh and bone, and has a goddess wife/wives. Together, they produce ethereal children in heaven. Although most contemporary Mormons make no claims about how God's children are produced, earlier Mormon leaders taught that it was by sex between God and his goddess wife/wives.
• Brigham Young (Mormonism's 2nd president-prophet): “He [God] created man, as we create our children; for there is no other process of creation in heaven, on the earth, in the earth, or under the earth, or in all the eternities, that is, that were, or that ever will be” [Journal of Discourses 11:122]
• Joseph Fielding Smith (Mormonism's 10th president-prophet): “Man, as a spirit, was begotten and born of Heavenly Parents.” [Improvement Era 13:80]
• Orson Pratt (Original 'Quorum of the Twelve' member): “In the heaven where are spirits were born, there are many Gods, each of whom has his own wife or wives, which were given to him… while yet in this mortal state” [The Seer, 37.]
• Carfred Broderick: “God is a procreating personage of flesh and bone” [Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought (Autumn, 1967), 100-101.]
On Earth, God had sex with Mary to beget Jesus. This should be relevant because, whether Mormon theology is true or a man-made invention, it increases the likelihood that using physical sex to procreate is simply the “Heavenly Father's” way of doing things.
Upon closer examination, however, it becomes evident that Widstoe is referring to sex as a synonym for gender.
• John A. Widstoe (Mormon apostle): “Sex Among the Gods. Since we have a Father who is our God, we must also have a mother, who possesses the attributes of Godhood.” [Rational Theology, 64-65.]
• “Sex, which is indispensable on this earth for the perpetuation of the human race, is an eternal quality which has its equivalent everywhere. It is indestructible. The relationship between men and women is eternal and must continue eternally. In accordance with Gospel philosophy there are males and females in heaven. Since we have a Father, who is our God, we must also have a mother, who possesses the attributes of Godhood. This simply carries onward the logic of things earthly, and conforms with the doctrine that whatever is on this earth is simply a representation of spiritual conditions of deeper meaning than we can here fathom.”Compare:
• “We affirm as reasonable, scriptural, and true, the eternity of sex among the children of God. The distinction between male and female is no condition peculiar to the relatively brief period of mortal life. It was an essential characteristic of our pre-existent condition, even as it shall continue after death, in both disembodied and resurrected states … [The] scriptures attest a state of existence preceding mortality, in which the spirit children of God lived, doubtless with distinguishing characteristics, including the distinction of sex, “before they were [created] naturally upon the face of the earth.” [“The Eternity of Sex,” Millennial Star (24 August 1922): 530.]